Sunday, March 13, 2011

the guessing game

What do you need bebe?
Jack is going through a MAJOR growth spurt. This is obvious from the way he looks, but more so by his seemingly insatiable appetite. Last night was the most difficult. After downing four ounces, less than an hour later he was screaming his head off.  I was thinking that this baby could not possibly be hungry already. I absolutely do not want to overfeed him. I have done this, and ended up with a projectile vomit situation, not okay. For a brief moment I thought he could be sick because nothing seemed to make him happy, and finally I resorted to feeding him, and he quickly drank two more ounces. I knew this would be coming, after reading my books and message boards. I'd heard about the "six week growth spurt". It got me thinking about how much parenting is definitely a trial and error thing. You literally have to try so many things in order to figure out what to do or what the problem is. Same thing with baby "gear" (as the baby stores call it). I am so glad I didn't end up getting the $200 Mamroo. Yeah, it looked awesome to me in the store. So awesome in fact, I wished it was big enough for me to try. But Jack doesn't really like his swing that we got him. He will sit in it for a while, but he doesn't really love it. Lately, after about 15 minutes he tends to get fussy and want to be out. Our saving grace has been the Boppy. We feed him with it, he sits in it, falls asleep in it, gives you big smiles when you sit next to him in it, overall it has been our favorite thing. I guess you just don't know what the babe will like or hate. Aside from the "gear", something that I didn't really think would make a big difference but most definitely has, is diaper rash cream. I have tried three different brands, and finally found the absolute best. The first few either smelled weird, had a funny consistency, or didn't seem to work that great. Honestly, when you are changing a baby as many times as you have to, this type of thing makes a big difference. My mom actually found Weleda, and it is amazing. It smells like chamomile and Jack's bum looks perfect! It is all- natural (she bought it at whole foods) and, of course, more expensive. In my mind, anything that makes changing a diaper more enjoyable is worth it to me.

3 comments:

  1. That Mamroo thing looks awesome! LOL they should make an adult size.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right?! It has all these crazy settings and a place to hook up your ipod.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading about your adventures, you crack me up! Your little boy is precious and you are, obviously...a fantastic Mama! :)

    ReplyDelete